Name of the project: Training Course ”Conflict Resolution Through Storytelling”
Date of Project: 10.04 – 18.04.2023
Hosting Organization: ”BRAVO”
Place: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Participants age: 18+
The number of participants: 40
Working language: English
AIM OF THE PROJECT
As human beings we tend to organize our experiences in story form. This can be seen particularly in conflicts at communal, regional, national and international levels where conflicts are not described as clinical dissections naming the constitutive elements but as structured wholes in the form of narratives. These narratives have been rehearsed and elaborated repeatedly by participants in a conflict and form an integral part of a conflict just as much as physical factors such as scarcity of resources or physical violence.
The aim of this project is to acquire key competencies in understanding how stories that frame social experience are formed. Additionally participants will receive training to work with young people in conflict to help them to re-frame their stories and allow for new possibilities for dialogue and conflict transformation.
The project consists of two stages:
Stage 1: Storytelling
Storytelling is an intrinsic part of the human experience and is an important way in which we organize our experience of the world. Understanding how human beings create and use different stories is important because it provides participants with the tools to understand and interact with the social world around them. This will empower participants to think critically on the narratives that surround them in their personal and professional lives and to understand that these stories are not necessarily set in stone and have the potential to be rewritten.
These skillsets will enhance participants’ employability and professional practice, as great story telling is important for diverse sectors such marketing but also for social professions such as youth work. Particularly youth work that is strained with local, community, national, or international conflict.
Stage 2: Narrative Conflict Mediation:
Building on the skills acquired in stage 1 this section of the training will focus on and hone the story-telling skills to specifically engage people who are part of a conflict and to use the techniques of narrative conflict mediation to examine possibilities for more creative and nuanced understandings of old stories which allow for new possibilities for conflict resolution to occur.
- Ice breaker that introduces topic in engaging manner
- Activity: Participants will be given an activity to practice and engage with the skill or competency of the session
- Information session: Some of the sessions will require some knowledge to be provided to participants
- Group work: Participants will be encouraged to discuss and share insights together
- Individual work: Participants will be asked to reflect on the sessions alone
- Sharing: Participants will be encouraged to share their insights and reflections with the group
- Closing activity
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT
- To gain knowledge on the different kinds of stories that exist. This part of the training will provide participants with the knowledge of the various kinds of narratives that exists and will allow them to categorize different stories that they are exposed to in the world around them.
- To analyse and dissect the constitutive elements of stories. All stories are made up of various parts which serve the function of driving the story to it’s conclusion. Participants will be shown how different means are used within stories and when they can be used to bring about different stories.
- To recognize the appropriate story for different situations Participants will be given the competencies to utilize the appropriate form of story in the appropriate context.
- To develop further proficiency in creating new stories. Participants will be given opportunities to use the knowledge acquired in the previous outcomes to construct stories. They will be provided with feedback on how to improve being together different elements of stories.
- To gain competency in saying stories. Participants will be given exercises to help develop their ability to say stories particularly in public speaking settings.
It is created for young people over 18 years old who are eager to extend their knowledge, upgrade their skills and broaden their horizons. Participants must come from the following countries: Armenia, BiH, Bulgaria, Estonia, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Serbia, Spain, Ukraine
Participants must be able to communicate in English. Participants must attend all training sessions and actively participate in them.
APPLICATION LINK: https://b24-zh51xm.bitrix24.site/crm_form_7lj2f/
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 10.02.2023